Trauma therapy is a very real and very necessary treatment for patients who have experienced difficult physical, emotional, and mental situations or disorders. The team at Crossroads Counseling Services, serving the areas of Plainfield, Ottawa, Morris, and Yorkville, IL, are available when you don’t know where to turn for yourself or a family member.
What Is Trauma Therapy?
Trauma therapy is a particular approach to healing that focuses on understanding how traumatic events may affect an individual’s mental, physical, and emotional well-being. It is suitable for children, teenagers, and adults who have had traumatic experiences and need someone to talk to about their experiences, feelings, thoughts, or problems in a safe and confidential space while learning coping strategies to assist them in dealing with situations.
Trauma is divided into three main categories.
- Acute trauma – when a person experiences a short-term or singular traumatic event
- Chronic trauma – long-term and repeated traumatic experiences
- Complex trauma - experiencing several traumatic events or experiences that compound
A traumatic event or experience can be challenging to process, so professional intervention may be helpful and supportive.
Types of Trauma Therapy
Trauma therapy is not one-size-fits-all. Patients and individuals seeking treatment may respond differently to certain types of therapy, therapists, and so on. For this reason, each patient will be thoroughly assessed in a safe and comfortable environment before a treatment plan best suited to their needs is drawn up. The team at Crossroads Counseling Services, serving the areas of Plainfield, Ottawa, Morris, and Yorkville, IL, offers some of the following therapeutic options:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Mindfulness Training
- Medication Management
It may be necessary to combine different therapy types for an impactful result. Notably, the therapy process takes time so that healing can occur more fully and successfully.
Do I Need Therapy?
Deciding whether you need therapy can be a difficult decision to make. If you are experiencing or have experienced one of the following, we recommend you reach out to us.
- You are experiencing emotional distress.
- You are grieving and finding it unmanageable.
- You have experienced what you consider a traumatic event.
- You have a clinical disorder.
- You are, or you think you are, suffering from depression or anxiety.
- You need relationship counseling.
- You are struggling with addiction.
If you or a loved one needs trauma therapy in the Plainfield, Ottawa, Morris, and Yorkville, IL, areas, please get in touch with the Crossroads Counseling Services team and let them help you today. Our contact number is 815-941-3882.